Friday, June 20, 2014

The Best Man I Can Be

How to Get Out of Your Own Way by Tyrese Gibson
Published
: January 1, 2011 by Grand Central Publishing
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the intended audience for this book. I did guess that going it, but I figured I'd at least give it a chance. Who knows, they may have been pieces I could connect with. And while there were items that made sense, overall I think if I was a teenager living in the ghetto or one without a lot going for me, I would have appreciated this a lot more.

For me, I think the worst parts were the chapters on cheating. Basically Tyrese's viewpoint is that all men cheat and it's pretty rare that they don't. And for the one that's don't there's normally a specific reason, something like the fear of HIV or G-d's wrath. It's never just enough to expect to remain loyal on principle. While I definitely don't agree here, I can at least imagine why he'd think this way. After all, I would imagine in the world of R&B singers, male models, and movie stars, most men cheat. And if those are the people Tyrese spends time with I could see how he'd get such an opinion. Still, it's a little hard to read.

The book isn't completely awful though. I did appreciate the first chapter on Tyrese's childhood, and thought it was the best of them all. It is a little heartbreaking to hear what he had to go through growing up, but even more so to think about that fact that this is what so many other children deal with and without the chance of escape.

Normally at the end of a review, even if I dislike a book I can at least say I'm glad I read this. Except I'm not quite sure I can say that here. I have read books I disliked more, and it was fairly easy to read, but in some ways I do think my time could have been better spent.

2.5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea he wrote a book! Interesting. And I'm with you, I can't get on board with the "all men cheat" mentality. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! That chapter on cheating might have made me throw the book away! Kudos for sticking with it and giving it a chance.

    ReplyDelete