Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On Display, On Display

Maybe it's a little early to be posting about what to do with the dress after the wedding, especially since I've yet to actually buy a dress. But even so, here we are. There are options that are fairly mainstream. You could preserve the dress and keep it in a box. You could sell the dress. Or you could take inspiration from real housewife Adrienne Maloof and display your dress.

source
Seriously how awesome is this? I remember seeing it in the background during an episode of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and thinking it was amazing. This isn't the scene I remember, and it's obviously a styled photo shoot, but it just looks so natural. I would absolutely love to be able to display my own dress this way. It's a perfect way to save and preserve your dress, but without leaving it up in the attic where it's never actually seen.

Except I'm not sure I could actually pull it off. First I don't think there's a wall big enough in our house where it would fit. Second even if we had the room, I don't think our house is grand enough for this to work. Maybe you have to be a Maloof to pull it off, but I'd still love to find a way to make it work.

Although if you really want to keep your wedding on display there are other ways beside the traditional picture, to do it. I also love Mrs. Cola's shadow boxes.

source
No it isn't grand as grand as Adrienne's dress, but it is a little more practical, and I great way to preserve all the hard work you went to to pull off all of your various projects.

If you've already had your wedding, what mementos, if any, are you currently using to decorate your house? And do you think you could pull off displaying a wedding dress?

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of making it into a quilt or other sort of keepsake. Sadly mine is still in a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is still in the bag in the closet. I really need to get it cleaned and preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to display my dress (the Adrienne Maloof way) and plan on putting a space in my closet when we build our house. It was the last thing my mom purchased for me before she passed away so it holds a lot of great memories for me including my wedding. I had an aunt frame our wedding program and give it to us as a gift. She added some creative touches to it too. And then instead of a Guest Book, I had two matte boards out for guests to sign or write us a message. One matte board was framed around my bridal photo and the other around our engagement picture. Both of these hang on our wall in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those shadow boxes are awesome!!! I would love to do something like that!

    I will probably sell my dress. I don't feel particularly attached to it (yet, anyways!) I had this weird attachment to my prom dress in high school - I think because it needed SO MANY alterations to fit me perfectly (And it totally did fit me perfectly) and I refused to sell it and it's just hung in my mom's closet all this time. Also my prom dress was more expensive than my wedding dress. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wedding dress has a lace overlay. I plan on using the lace for a Christening gown for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I saw that in an episode!!! I love how she displayed it. I think shadow boxes are a great idea as well.

    ReplyDelete