Friday, April 8, 2011

The First American Traitor

Finishing Becca by Ann Rinaldi
I bought this book a few weeks ago at Goodwill, when trying to find a 5th book for 5 for a doller deal. I recognized the author from a book I had been assinged to read back in middle school that I enjoyed. After searching for a final 5th book for what seemed like forever this seemed like a great fit, and wound up being a good choice.

Finishing Becca takes place during the American Revolution in Philadelphia. The title refers to how Becca's mother sends Becca to be a maid in the Shippen household to help her find her missing peices and become a finished woman. While in the household she becomes aquianted with General Benedict Arnold.

From elementary school I know who the traitor Benedict Arnold is. But while I knew we betrayed the American to the British, I wasn't sure the details of the event. By the end of the book I can't send a know every detail of Benedict Arnold, but understand his story quite a bit more.

This isn't a time period I frequent, and being where I found the book I was a little hesitant. But it wound up being a pleasant surprise. I wound be more than willing to read more of her books, or even reread the book I was assigned to read back in 8th grade (In My Father's House was the book after a quick google search.)

4/5

1 comment: