Monday, January 10, 2022

Top Books of 2021

I may have already posted my top books of the year on Instagram (and I'm pretty sure anyone reading this, is also following me there), but for traditions sake, wanted to also post them here!
2021 was another really strong reading year for me. After staying home most of 2020, doing pratically nothing, I kept the habbit of reading a ton, even as life got more back to normal. I didn't read as much as I did in 2021, but it was quite close. This year I read 84 books, and 30,853 pages. (In comparison, durring 2020, my strongest reading year ever, I read 88 books and 32,314 pages.) So here's my top 11, in the order I read them.
1. Meet Me in Bombay by Jenny Ashcroft
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and it was such a pleasant surprise. The majority of it take places in India durring World War I. There's a romace that's a bit heartbreaking. I reminded me a bit of one of my favorites, A Little Princess. Even thought I read it durring early January, it's one that stayed with me.
2. Happily Ever Afters by Elise Bryant
I won this one too, although from another Bookstagramer. It's a YA, and under normal circumstances, I would have enjoyed it. However, it took place in my hometown of Long Beach, California. Getting to read and experience my hometown through a book was amazaing. It brought back memories of high school, and it had such a feeling of nostolgia for me.
3. Yellow Wife by Sadeqa Johnson
Yes, another one I won in a Goodreads giveaway. (I promise this is the last one for a while!) This book is heartbreaking, and it's hard to say you enjoy it. But it's one that stays with you. It takes place in Virginia durring slavery. It isn't an easy read, but definitely one I'd recommend.
4. Yellow Springs Road by Janie Chang
Last year I really enjoyed Janie Chang's newest book, Library of Legends. I had loved her debut years ago (This is the post I wrote about it), so this year decided to purchase (yes, I actually bought this one!), her last book which I had missed. I've loved all her books so much! They all take place in China, and while historical, each has a bit of magic mixed it. They're a bit hard to describe, since there's nothing really like them, but I've loved them each so much.
5. Today Tonight Tomorrow by Rachel Lynn Solomon
I know so many people love Rachel Lynn Solomon, but this was much first book by her. It's a YA, and aspects of it reminded me of my college experience. The reason it spoke so much to me though, is a lot due to the Jewish representation. I don't remember reading a lot of books about Jewish girls growing up (besides those that were historical), and wish books like this had been there for me.
6. Enchantress by Maggie Anton
I discovered Maggie Anton years ago with her Rashi's Daughter trilogy. (Here's the post I wrote years ago when I finished reading the trilogy.) She hasn't writtin much else, but did write two books that take place in biblical times. There's nothing else out there really like her books! It's such a unique period in history especailly seeing these aspects of Judism.
7. Well Played by Jen DeLuca
This is a second in a Romance trilogy, the first of which was on my favorites list last year. I love how these books take place at the Renassiace Faire, and it brings me back to all the years I spent going to our local faire.
8. Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
Another historical fiction so heartbreaking at times, that's it hard to use the word love. It takes place in Hawaii, in a leporasy colony. It spands several decades, and it such an amazing story. It's one you don't forget.
9. Frankie & Bug by Gayle Forman
Another Goodreads win! The last of those on the list. This was full of nostalgia for me (clearly a theme that gets books on this list for me). It takes place in the 80s in L.A.. It's deeper than I realized it would be, but given the time and location, it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.
10. The Women of Chateau Lafayette by Stephanie Dray
This is the 4th year a book by Stephanie Dray has been on one of my lists. (To be fair, one year she wasn't in the top 10, but made my honorable mention list.) Like her others, this was in historical. It's told over three timelines, the American and French Revolutions, World War I, and World War II. Each was such a unique persepcetive, and even with it's length it's one I couldn't put down.
11. The Matzah Ball by Jean Meltzer
A Romance about Hanukkah?!? Such an amazing idea to me! This felt just like a Hallmark Holiday Movie, except centered around Hanukkah. Like many others on this list, It's one I loved because of how I related to it, and saw so much of myself and culter within its pages.

To see my favorite books from years' past go here:
2020
2019
2018
2014
2013
2012

1 comment:

  1. Adding these to my list. Thank you so much. Happy to have found your blog.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete