Friday, July 3, 2015

Rise of the Chalklings

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
Published May 14, 2013 by Tor Teen
Series: The Rithmatist #1
The boys has been a fan of Brandon Sanderson for a while now. And while everything I've heard has me intrigued, I'm not quite ready to pick up one of the giant fantasy books the boy normally reads. But a YA fantasy book, that's definitely more my style.

I love the chalkling world that Sanderson comes up with in this, a place where chalk drawings can come to life. I do feel like we've just brushed the surface of the workings of this world and can't wait to see the rest of the mythology come to life as the series continues.

But with that mythology, I wasn't a huge fan of how the story took place in an alternate form of the U.S.. I'm assuming it was done to keep things a little less complicated for young readers, but as a 30-something it just felt almost dumbed-down. Clearly, though I may not be the target audience here, but even so, I wish the reader was given a little more credit for being able to understand a completely made up world.

My main lament upon finishing this book is that the sequel doesn't come out till 2017, especially knowing that this book came out 2 years ago. Of course when I complained to the boy his response was that Sanderson has far more important books to be writing, but I'm sure eventually he will come back to this one as well.

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I like Sanderson. I think I might wait til closer to the sequel coming out to read this one.

    ReplyDelete