Friday, July 24, 2015

A Medical Mistake, the Baby We Couldn't Keep, and Our Choice to Deliver the Ultimate Gift

Inconceivable by Carolyn and Sean Savage
Published
: February 14, 2011 by HarperOne
I remember seeing this book when it first came out and being slightly heartbroken by the idea of it. It's about a couple who gets pregnancy with IVF only to find that the wrong baby was implanted. At the time I wasn't even married but was deadly afraid about getting pregnant in the future and the idea that something like that could happen absolutely horrified me.

Clearly this book left an impression, which is why 4 years later I remembered it and decided to read it. Turns out that this was a book I couldn't put down and sped through because I had to know exactly how everything developed.

At several parts through the book Carolyn mentions the support she received from her online friends. Maybe it's something a lot of people wouldn't get, but knowing the friendships I've made through blogging I really appreciated hearing this experience.

This book prompted interesting discussions between the boy and I something I wouldn't have expected. It's definitely a book that makes you think how you'd react in a similar situation. But also one that makes you grateful for all the little blessings you currently have.

Out of curiosity I did google to couple the find that they have a blog of their own. But even more impressive is that since this book has been published they've gone on to have twins through surrogacy, plus another baby boy conceived naturally who is about the age of Elley.

There is also a book written by the other family involved in the medical mishap, and while I imagine that one will have a different feel, I've already ordered my copy and can't wait to read it as well.

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I really do want to read this book and it's on my list of ones to pick up from the library.

    ReplyDelete