Thursday, April 11, 2013

Flour-less Fun

My mom made have made the exact same brisket recipe every year for Passover, but when it came to dessert it was a different story. I think she was always search to find the perfect Passover dessert. The reason being because the idea of eating a flour-less dessert just sounds unappealing, so even when something may be delicious, you mind tells you it's not because of what you know it's missing.

If anyone can confirm this it's my dad, who always hated when his birthday fell during Passover, and he was subjected to a Passover dessert. But lucky for him, today is actually his birthday, so he's able to enjoy a full flour birthday cake. And since I'm not in California to celebrate him, instead he's a virtual cake for him, even though it is of the Passover variety.
DSC08078
Passover Flour-less Kahlua Chocolate Cake
Based on this recipe from Judica Specialties.
Ingredients
DSC08067
1 lb of bittersweet chocolate
1 cup of unsalted butter
1/4 cup Kahlua
7 eggs
1 cup sugar
Powdered sugar, to taste
Directions
DSC08068
1. Melt butter, chocolate, and Kahlua over low heat. Once mixed remove from heat and let cool.
DSC08071
2. Beat eggs and sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes or until fluffy.
(It probably would have been a lot easier, and quicker, if I brought my KitchenAid out for this. But we were already cooking so many items, and getting so many dishes dirty, I didn't want to bring it out. And I'm not sure what constitutes fluffy, but I used my best judgement.)
DSC08073
3. Slowly add and mix in chocolate mixture with the eggs.
DSC08074
4. Pour into a spring-form pan lined with parchment paper.
(I obviously didn't do the best job lining, but apart from a slightly odd shaped cake, it wasn't a huge deal.
DSC08076
5. Bake for one hour at 350.
DSC08077
6. Once cooled dust with powdered sugar. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

DSC08078
I know I started this post by saying Passover desserts never taste good, but I'm going to have to contradict myself by saying this one did. Of course, all you have to do is look at the ingredients, and understand why. And while I know my mom changed up her Passover desserts, I definitely remember her making cakes similar to this fairly regularly.

Have you ever tried a Passover dessert? If so, do you find them fairly unappealing, at least in general?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great, I might need to try it! I made hammantaschen a few weeks ago, but I know that's another holiday :) I love brisket too...maybe I should try that sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love cakes like that on Pesach! I usually make a banana cake!

    ReplyDelete