Thursday, March 22, 2012

Checking it Twice

There was something else I did on our trip to Nashville this past weekend that I didn't mention before. But to back up, I've pretty much been avoiding any type of formal wedding checklist. Yes, I've still be doing things for the wedding, but more things that I know I have to do instead of going through items one by one. I've actually been a little scared to look at one now, because I feel like I'm SOOO far behind on everything.

But back to the original point, I decided to bring my wedding planning book (The Knot's Complete Guide to Weddings if you're curious) on the trip. I figured without the distraction of the internet I would actually sit down and see just how far behind I was.

And the surprising realization was, I'm not nearly as far behind as I thought! I was able to check off everything on my 12-plus months list. On the 9 to 11 month list, there were only 3 items I couldn't check off. And on the 6 to 8 months list there were only 4 items (although some of them were in progress). And with over 5 months to go, there were even a few items on the 3 to 4 months list I could check off.

So what are the offending unchecked boxes? Well there's selecting & ordering bridesmaids' dresses, which is in progress. There's planning the honeymoon, which deserves a post of its own. There's ordering invitations, which really NEEDS to be the next item on my to-do list. As well as a few other items, which again I hope to be writing about soon.

Basically the moral of the story is, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Now I probably can't go another month or two completely avoiding my to-do list. In fact, I'm thinking I should come up with a custom electronic to-do list, that's easier for me to reference and less likely to avoid. But it wound up being a nice surprise to see I'm not nearly as far behind as I though.

Are you a person that's always checking your to-do lists, or do you avoid them to not feel as overwhelmed? And assuming you're planning a wedding, have you found you're not nearly as far behind as you expected to be?

3 comments:

  1. That's great! I didn't do a big to do list for the wedding because I figured it would just stress me out. I probably should have because I feel like I have A LOT to do with just over 3 months to go, but for the most part even if NONE of that got done all the stuff that needs to happen is arranged and done, so I'm trying not to stress too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a crazy list maker. So bad that I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to elope if I ever decide to get married, because otherwise I'll be out of control :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make lists for everything and for a wedding... heck yes! That's great that you're not far behind at all.

    ReplyDelete