Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Next Hamburger Helper

Last night the boy took his last (hopefully!) PhD qualifying exam. To celebrate the fact that he no longer had to study he decided to wanted to make hamburgers. Along with making normal hamburgers he decided it would be fun to mix some of our favorite pesto (made by SpiceWorld if you're curious) into a few patties. I thought it was a pretty great idea, and had high hopes.

Let's just say the burgers turned out absolutely amazing. The only thin we didn't think about was all the olive oil we were adding to the burger. Because of this the bottom of the patty didn't get as crispy as the top, and you could almost taste the oil olive in the burger. Except that the main taste of the burger was pesto.
Pesto Burger
For fun I added some feta to the top of my burger. I won't eat a cheeseburger, but a feta burger I will definitely eat. It turned out far better than I could have imagine (as you can see I barely got a picture before I devoured the whole thing). I'm pretty sure dinner tonight will involve leftover pesto burgers as well!

Would you ever try a pesto burger? If not, what type of toppings do you think would be fun to try on a burger?

~Shoshanah

5 comments:

  1. Um what time is dinner tomorrow? Ha! Looks great. Having hamburgers at big life milestones is a fantastic idea. I might have to steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heck yes, I would try a pesto burger!! I LOVE pesto! oh, how I love it. though, I buy Buitoni... I think it's good. anyhow, I love mixing different things in my burger but the boy is not such a fan. he literally just wants to take ground meat and form it into a patty... which is ok, I guess, but seriously no fun at all.

    oh, and I must tell you if you don't already know: I read recently on a foodie blog this great tip about adding a bit of pesto, like a tablespoon or so, to jarred pasta sauce. let me tell you, it's amazing. totally jazzes up plain sauce when you are feeling like something different. and it's kind of an obvious thing... I mean, its like the quick way to add basil/parmesan/olive oil etc. to pasta sauce.

    ok, can you tell I LOVE pesto?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That burger looks SOOO good! My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried that. That's a pretty good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I absolutely love pesto burgers. Bobby Flay opened up one of his burger places around me and I am told that their burgers are amazing. Now you've made me want one!

    ReplyDelete