Friday, October 30, 2015

From India to CA

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda
Published
: April 5th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks
First Published: March 15th 201
I had several friends that loved this book, which is why I wanted to read it in the first place. So while I may want to say I was surprised by how much I loved it, that isn't quite the case. Instead I went into it expecting to fall for it, and that's exactly what happened.

Starting with a tiny detail, I really loved that the main character, the secret daughter, was exactly my age. Obviously it's a little thing, but it made it easy to tell how old she was as time moved in the story. Also while I really don't feel that old, you could definitely tell how much has changed since the 80s by reading the chapters from that time period.

Slightly less superficial, I loved the scenes in India. It's a country I'm really curious about, although I haven't read very much about it, so I loved getting to experience it through these words.

Most important to the book were the characters and the story. It's a book I couldn't seem to stop reading and one that brought me to tears. It's actually been a while since I've finished reading it (I've actually finished reading two other books since), but even so it's one that's still fresh in my mind and I imagine will continue to be for quite a long time.

5/5

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you liked this book! It is a book that I also adored! I just love books set in India. I find them so fascinating as it is just such a different world over there. If you like books set in India, you should check out Jhumpa Lahiri's books (I just read Lowland which is great) and Thrity Umrigar (all of her books are wonderful).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't like this book. Although I haven't ever really liked any book written by an Indian author or set in India and I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete