Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tea for Two

Together Tea by Marjan Kamali
Published
: May 21, 2013 by Ecco
Going into this book I was expected a cute chick lit with a matchmaking mother, and a daughter wanting to find love on her own. That's the type of book I enjoy, and would have been perfect for the beach (which is where I was when reading). Except, I was pleasantly surprised and am happy to say this was so much more than that.

The first part of the novel takes place in 1996 when Darya and her 20-something daughter, Mina, both reach the decision that the need to go back to Iran in order to move forward in their lives. The second section, goes back in time to 1978, the dawn of the Iranian revolution, how it impacted Darya, Mina, and their family and what it was like escaping to America. The final third detailed their trip back to Iran.

I don't think I've ever read anything that takes place in Iran, and was fascinated by all the information here. While I do have some idea of the revolution and what happened, I learned far more from this "chick lit" than anything else in my life so far.

In addition, while I loved the history and culture, Mina's story is what really spoke to me. So much of this book is Mina's journey finding herself and discovering what she wants with her life. (Darya had a similar path, but given the age difference it was harder for me to identify with her.) Part of me wants to classify this as new adult, as in the becoming an adult, but not quite sure how that's supposed to happen (similar to my reaction to Bond Girl), except with out the ridiculously naive girl that seems to be standard in the NA genre.

The novel end came close to bringing me to tears, and probably would have if I wasn't reading it in an elevator full of 20 people. But it was so good, I couldn't put it down. I really, truly loved my experience with this book, and feel like this is one I need to start loaning out so everyone I know can discover it.

5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

  1. Together Tea sounds really interesting - everything I know about the Iranian revolution I know from reading the graphic novel Persepolis, so I'd like to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds great! I love reading about other places and reminds me a little of my experience with The Kite Runner. I had no idea what I was getting into but I ended up in love that book and all the things I learned.
    It is going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you were reading the end in the elevator - that's my kind of reader!

    I'm glad to see that you were pleasantly surprised by this one. Thanks for being on the tour! I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love immigrant stories and thought this was great!

    ReplyDelete