Saturday, August 6, 2011

Ducky-Wucky

Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle
To be honest I bought this book mainly due to its title. I thought is was pretty adorable and figured there had to be a cute story inside. Don't get me wrong, I had actually heard of the book before, and had read a review on another blog (Unfortunately, I don't remember whose) so I wasn't going in completely blind.

Carly is about her sophomore year of high school, except this year she won't be alone because her little sister, Anna, will also be starting as a freshmen. Except over the summer Anna's body has changed and she's become hot overnight. Carly isn't sure if she's jealous of her, instead she's busy figuring out just who she is an who just wants to be. She doesn't want to conform and be like every other girl at her school, but if you're rebelling and acting different, just to say you're different than everyone else what does that make you? And how do these changes impact the relationship between the two sisters.

It actually took me a while to get into this one. The first half most of the girls just felt fake to me, but I think that's probably the point, since neither one really knew who they really were. I'm not sure what the changing point was for me. Maybe it's because there was more action at the end or because I finally started the care for the girls, but by the close I was a little sorry to see it be over.

The book definitely explores the ups and downs of having a sister. But even with the downs, reading it made me wish I had a sister. It also brought me right back to all the angst-y high school feelings, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but definitely part of made the book itself.

I am glad I let myself be swayed be the cutest cover, and am glad I stuck with it after being disappointed at first. I wound up being a big fan of the story, and while this is the first I've read by Lauren Myracle, I'm definitely up for reading more of her books.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment