Friday, December 16, 2016

A Novel of Marlene Dietrich

Marlene by C.W. Gortner
Published
: December 16, 2016 by William Morrow (An imprint of Harper Collins)
I remember the first book I read by Gortner (The Last Queen, almost 7 years ago!). From that first book, I've loved everything I've read by him. What stood out to me about that first book was that while it was about a time period I was familiar with, it told the story of a historical character I knew little about. Basically I knew enough about the topic to be excited, but there was still an element of surprise. I'm excited to say, once again, that was the case with Marlene.

Here you get to meet Marlene Dietrich, a German actress who became a Hollywood star in the 1930s and 1940s. If you're more cultured than me, you probably know who she was, but until I picked up the book she was one I hadn't heard of. Although there are a ton of characters mentioned that I was familiar with (John Wayne, Ernest Hemmingway, Bette Davis, and more) and it was fun recognizing all the cameos. With that said, I'm sure there are a ton more I didn't get the significance of.

I've read a lot about WWII, but I can't remember reading anything else with such a take on it. Marlene is German but also American, and it's really interesting seeing her grapple with the Germany she loved growing up and the horrors of what it became.

This is the 5th book I've read by Gortner, and each time I've loved what I've read. There's still a few of his I haven't gotten to, but it's only because there isn't enough time in each day.

5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. The reviews of this book have all been fantastic - I definitely need to read this one asap!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete